By participating in this contest, you (the “Entrant”), individually and/or as a team or organization, agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the Sponsors’ decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
1. Sponsors. The following organizations (together with any other organizations designated as a sponsor from time to time by PACT) are the sponsors (the “Sponsors”) of the Philadelphia Enterprise Hackathon (the “Contest”):
- PACT (Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies)
- Teva North America
- Bentley Systems
- Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Building 100 Innovation Center,
- PA (and its designee participant company FLOWatch) (collectively, “Ben Franklin”)
- Safeguard Scientifics, Inc.
- Chariot Solutions
- NextDocs Corporation
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- GitHub, Inc.
2. Eligibility. The Contest is open to (i) individuals who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry and are legal residents of, or have a place of business in the Greater Philadelphia Region, which includes the following counties: Philadelphia, Chester, Montgomery, Delaware, or Bucks Counties in Pennsylvania, South New Jersey counties (counties including and to the south of Burlington and Ocean Counties), and New Castle County, Delaware; and (ii) organizations with significant operations in one of those counties. Employees, officers and directors of Sponsors and any of their affiliate, parent or subsidiary companies and advertising and promotion agencies currently performing services for Sponsors, and members of the immediate families of such persons (regardless of where they reside), and/or those living in the same household (whether or not related) are not eligible to enter.
Entrants are responsible for obtaining all required approvals, consents and authorizations, if any, that may be required in order for them to enter the Contest and submit an entry, including from their employer and/or from the management of their organization.
3. Content of Entries. Submissions should be software applications or services that address the challenges defined by the Sponsors as described in their presentations on the Website. Each proposal (a “Submission”) will be evaluated by a panel of judges and rated on the criteria set forth in Section 6 of the Official Rules.
4. Entry Period. Entries will be accepted between 12:01am Eastern Time (“ET”) on September 3, 2016 and 5:00 pm ET on September 19, 2013 (the “Entry Period”).
5. How to Submit an Entry. Each entry must be in English and submitted online
Submissions must consist of a completed submission form and must include textual descriptions and screenshots of a prototype. Prototypes are not required to be fully functional at the time of submission, but must be demonstrable by October 1, 2016.
A Submission must describe a product and/or service (e.g., website, application, managed technology service) that can support the challenges outlined by the Sponsors. Submitted solutions should be scalable and usable by the Sponsors’ enterprises within a 6-12 month time period. Please review the list of judging criteria in Section 6 below for information on how Submissions will be judged.
During the Entry Period, visit the Website and follow the directions posted there to enter your Submission into the Contest, including completing the submission form in its entirety. Prior to uploading your Submission, you must also affirmatively confirm that you have read, understand and agree to be bound by these Official Rules by clicking on the check box on the submission form. Only fully completed submission forms will be accepted. A visual asset (screenshot, wireframe, and appropriate schematics) must be uploaded with the Submission. Entrants may make multiple Submissions; however, each Submission must be substantially different from any other Submission made by such Entrant. Submissions may be made by individuals and/or teams; however, for each Submission that is made on behalf of a team, a team leader must be designated (the “Team Leader”) who will be responsible for (i) ensuring that the Submission and the Entrant team complies with these Official Rules and (ii) completing all requirements set forth herein. All members of a team Entrant must be individually eligible to enter the Contest and otherwise comply with these Official Rules.
6. Selection of Finalists and Winners. Submissions will be judged using the following criteria, among others, in the sole discretion of the Sponsors:
Problem: Does the Submission address the selected challenge outlined by the Sponsors?
Impact: How does the proposed solution affect the selected problem?
Innovation and creativity: Is the solution new and innovative?
Practicality: Is the solution feasible, cost-effective, affordable, sustainable, and scalable?
Implementation: Can the solution be turned into a product and/or a company within a 6-12 month time period, and will the Sponsor be able to use the product within their enterprise?
Team: Does the Entrant have the right people to build a sustainable product or program?
Commitment: Is the Entrant’s team committed to seeing the proposed solution all the way through incubation and into implementation and how likely is it that continued development will occur post-selection of Finalists and Winners?
Entries will be initially screened by a panel of judges chosen by Sponsors to determine whether the Entry meets these standards. Those Submissions missing significant aspects of the above criteria will be screened out and eliminated from contention. The Sponsors will select up to five finalists (the “Finalists”).
The Finalists will be announced on the Website and notified by email. If an Entrant is not notified and the Entrant’s Submission is not listed on the Website, that Entrant is not a finalist.
The Finalists will be invited to make a ten-minute in-person presentation to a panel of judges chosen by the Sponsors at a The Hub at CIRA Center on or about Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 5:30pm in front of the Sponsors and the general public. If the Entrant is an organization or a team of individuals, only one individual will be permitted to represent such Entrant. Each presentation will be followed by a five-minute question and answer session. The judges will select a winner and a runner-up. In the event of a tie, the Sponsors will appoint an additional tie-breaking judge to evaluate the tied Submissions based upon the judging criteria set forth in Section 6 to determine the winner(s).
The winners will be announced at the end of the judging presentations on October 1, 2016.
Winners will be required to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law), any required tax documents and any other documents required by Sponsors within five (5) days of date of receipt of notification as a condition of receiving any prizes. If a winning Entrant is a team, each member of the team will be required to execute and return all required documentation within the required time period. Return of notification as undeliverable, failure to sign and return requested documentation within the specified time period, the inability of the Sponsors to contact a winner or a Finalist within three (3) days after the first attempt, or noncompliance with these Official Rules by any winning Entrant or Finalist will result in disqualification and, at the Sponsors’ sole discretion, a runner-up may be notified and declared a winning Entrant.
The Sponsors reserve the right to select fewer than five Finalists and to refrain from selecting a winning Entrant or runner up if, in their sole discretion, they receive an insufficient number of eligible and qualified Submissions. In the event an Entrant is determined to be a Finalist in connection with more than one Submission, such entrant will only be permitted to advance with the Submission that received the highest score from among the Submissions selected to advance. If such Entrant is part of a separate team Entrant, such team can choose to move forward without that individual entrant. THE JUDGING SCORES WILL NOT BE POSTED OR OTHERWISE AVAILABLE.
7. Prizes. Up to three winning Submissions will be announced the week of October 1, 2016 and the winning Entrant(s) will be awarded prizes. The winning Entrants are not required to further develop their product. However, they can choose whether or not to further develop their concept for commercialization for use by the enterprise and other customers and whether to accept the other ancillary services and products being provided by the various Sponsors. Winning Submissions submitted in response to the challenges defined by Teva North America and Bentley Systems will each receive a $50,000 prize. A winning Submission submitted in response to the challenge defined by Ben Franklin will receive a $25,000 prize. Each winning Submission will also receive:
$1,000 Amazon Web Services Credit (subject to Amazon’s customary terms and conditions);
Up to three months of desk space, business support and advisory services at VentureF0rth, a healthcare-focused incubator in Philadelphia (subject to their space use policies and terms);
Mentoring services to the extent provided by the Sponsors and local entrepreneurs in their discretion; and
The opportunity to present their concept to Sponsors at the end of mentoring for potential implementation by the Sponsor.
The runners-up will receive
$600 in Amazon Web Services Credits (subject to Amazon’s customary terms and conditions)
There will be no substitutions for prizes. Prizes are non-transferable. Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of comparable or greater value, in their sole discretion. Winners are responsible for all federal, state and local taxes. If any company/employer policy prohibits a winning Entrant from receiving prizes in connection with a contest of this nature, Sponsors reserve the right to either disqualify such winner or to award the prize in the name of the company/employer or to the runner-up. In the event a winning Submission is entered by a team of individuals, the prizes will be awarded in the name of the Team Leader. In the event a winning Submission is entered by an organization, the prizes will be awarded in the name of the organization. Sponsors assume no responsibility for the allocation or distribution of any or all parts of the prize package among team members or among employees of an organization.
8. Restrictions on Entries. Entries may not contain any content that:
- Is inappropriate or which does not relate to the subject matter of the Contest;
- Contains trademarks, logos, or trade dress (such as distinctive packaging or building exteriors/interiors) owned by others, without permission, to the extent permission is necessary;
- Contains any personal identification information, such as individual names, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses or street addresses;
- Contains copyrighted materials owned by others (including photographs, sculptures, paintings, and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media), without permission, to the extent permission is necessary;
- Contains materials embodying the names, likenesses, voices, or other indicia identifying any person, including, without limitation, celebrities and/or other public or private figures, living or dead, without permission;
- Contains material that is in poor taste or offensive; and/or
Violates any applicable law.
- Any Submission that, in the opinion of the Sponsors or the judges, does not comply with these restrictions will be automatically disqualified and not eligible to win.
9. Ownership of Entries; Licenses. Entrant will retain all rights in and to Submission, including, without limitation, all intellectual property rights. Sponsors will not make the content of the Submissions available to any outside party (except for finalists that will present in front of the panels of judges and the general public and/or any agencies providing services to Sponsors in connection with the Contest) or use the Submissions for any other purpose other than as stated in these Terms and Conditions in connection with this Contest.
By entering this Contest, Entrants grant to Sponsors the right to use their proper names, images and likenesses for promotional purposes. Following verification of the winners, the winners’ names and information regarding their Submissions may be posted on the Website for public viewing. The Sponsors are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Submissions by third parties. Sponsors do not guarantee the posting of any Submission and may take down any Submission at any time.
Winning Entrants hereby grant (i) in the case of the life sciences / pharmaceutical track Submissions, to Teva North America (or its affiliates), and (ii) in the case of the infrastructure track Submissions, to Bentley Systems (or its affiliates) , and (iii) in the case of the water & utilities track Submissions, to Ben Franklin . a perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, assignable right to use the object code version of Entrant’s winning Submission, as modified by usage of the grant and prizes won in the Contest, solely for such Sponsor’s internal business purposes. Sponsor shall have no rights to modifications or further development of the solution contained in a Submission unless set forth in a separate agreement between the Sponsors and Entrant.
By submitting a Submission, except as provided below, the Entrant represents that the Submission is the 100% original and sole creation of the entrant, and all rights, title and interest, including but not limited to all intellectual property rights in any Submission, are owned solely by the submitting Entrant (or Entrant’s company/organization or team if Entrant is authorized to make the Submission on its behalf), (ii) has not been submitted into any other contest running concurrently to the Contest, and (iii) has not won any other contest. All materials and data submitted as part of the Submission must be true, accurate and verifiable and cannot be confidential. If Submission contains any material or elements that are not owned by the Entrant, and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the Entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the Submission, any and all releases and consents necessary to enter the Submission into the Contest. Entrant acknowledges and agrees that Sponsors are not responsible and will have no liability for any claims or actions associated with Entrant’s failure to do so. Sponsors may require proof that any required consent has been obtained and failure to provide such proof may, if requested, render the Submission null and void.
Each Entrant understands and acknowledges that: (i) Sponsors have wide access to ideas, designs, protocols, methodologies and other materials (collectively, “Ideas”), and those new Ideas are constantly being submitted to them or being developed by their own employees; (ii) many Ideas may be competitive with, similar to, or identical to content in the Submission and/or each other in concept, approach, format, or other respects; (iii) Entrant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Sponsors’ use of any such similar or identical material that has or may come to Sponsors from other sources. Except where prohibited by law, each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsors do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the entrant’s copyright, patent or other intellectual property right in and to the Submission.
10. Liability. Entrants agree to release the Sponsors, any person or organization providing prizes to winners in the Contest, their respective affiliates and advertising/promotional agencies, and the employees, officers, directors and agents of each of them, and any persons involved with the development and operation of the Contest (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability, claims, or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to person or property that may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership, or use of a prize or with participation in this Contest. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these Official Rules, the Sponsors shall have the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest.
The Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered or garbled Submissions; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of Submissions, the announcement of the prizes, the incorrect uploading of the video or photo or in any Contest-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Website users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from or use of the Website.
11. General. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. No purchase or entry fee required to enter or win. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning. Void where prohibited. By entering, Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsors on all matters relating to the Contest, which are final and binding.
The Sponsors reserves the right to disqualify any person it finds to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or to be acting in an un-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS AND THEIR AGENTS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE SUCH PERSON AND/OR SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
By entering, Entrant agrees not to release any publicity or other materials on its own or through another regarding its participation in the Contest without the prior consent of Sponsors, which may be withheld in their sole discretion.